Seeburg HF100R Jukebox Restoration

This blog will chronical the restoration of three Seeburg HF100R jukeboxes. The Seeburg HF100R was created in 1954.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Selenium Rectifier - Replacement?

OK, this is a selenium rectifier from GE. It was OEM for the Seeburg. It's that gray device in the middle of the picture on the right. Most people state you should replace these items with modern equivalents. According to H.H.Scott, " The selenium bridge rectifier can be easily replaced with a suitably rated silicon diode bridge rectifier that is readily available at just about any local electronics supplier. And the cost for this "technology insurance" is a very reasonable, especially when compared to replacement of output tubes, transformers, and possible loss your entire unit. You most probably will also need to add a dropping resistor, to readjust the voltage slightly." I wish this was just a simple replacement without the fuss. If you look at the picture you see five prongs. Two (black marks) are bridged with a wire and trail off with a black wire. Two (yellow marks) go to the transformer). One (red mark) trails off with a red wire. I see a "A5" on the device. I guess one could assume it means 5 amps.

The schematic seems to indicate that this is a simple rectifier bridge implementation, but I think I'd like some advice on this effort. The rectifier is shown circled in the schematic - you just need to click on the image to see the larger picture. I need to hope that the rectifier is working now and then measure the voltages so I can use resistors to match the voltages after a swap. Hmmm. This is going to be interesting.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Robert Fleckal said...

Hi Fred,
I just purchased a "restored" HF100R and not yet picked it up. Saw your restoration doc and wanted to say thanks. I previously did a complete restore (rebuilding the amp & selector) on an AY100. Not sure what I'll find on the R but wanted to ask if you did replace the selenium rectifier with a silicon bridge? If so, do you remember the values of the resistors you used? I restore pinball machines & have a bunch of molded bridge rectifiers. Think I could use one of these? BTW, they are rated quite a bit higher than 5 amps. Also, did you add an inline fuse for the bridge? Thanks for any help you can give me. Bob

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Robert Fleckal said...

First time blogger so hope this message goes through to Fred re: his restoration of a Seeburg HF100R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home